What's Going On This Week?

I am a little unsure as to where exactly my classes are since I was out sick last week. I am going to write my tentative plans, but these may change once I get to school and talk to the students.


9th and 10th Grade History
Both of these classes will complete ROOTS if they have not already. We will view the documentary which shows how Alex Haley came to write his family history in this book. The documentary also explains how Roots captivated an entire nation when it was aired on television in the 70s.  The point I wanted students to get from this film was that this story was about a family.  It truly shows American History and slavery. It took us through 2 wars, the Revolutionary war and the Civil War, but ultimately it is about family.  The institution of slavery was abolished. It is remarkable that Alex Haley was able to trace his history based on the stories passed down to him through the generations all the way back to a village in Africa.

This week, we'll begin preparation for our exam on Roots as well as write an essay about slavery.
The test will be on Friday and the Essay will be due on Thursday. I will provide a sample essay to help students understand what I expect.


7th/8th Grade World History

Students will take a test on Chapter 11 on Friday. Students will be preparing the test this week. I'll provide them with excellent review opportunities. 

Sociology
Students will present their child abuse report on Monday. This will be a project grade.  On Tuesday, we will resume our reading and daily work in A Child Called It.

11th/12th Grade Media Design
I'll check with Mr. Partin to see exactly where the students are in their projects. We will go ahead and ask students to multi-task this week. As they are working on project 1, I will show them how to create a blog and begin publishing that as well. Each student has individual due dates for benchmarks. I'll be sure everyone knows the next benchmark date and what is expected.



0 comments: